Compliance and Legislation

We are fully compliant with all relevant legislation as well as accredited with the industry’s most trusted professional bodies.

Client Money Protection Scheme

  • Our current Client Money Protection Scheme certificate can be viewed here.
  • You can also view a copy of the accounting rules of our client money protection provider (ARLA Propertymark) here.

The Consumer Protection Act 1987
This applies as the overall legislation which states that anything supplies or hired to a customer must be safe, which includes electrical equipment , upholstered furniture and gas appliances.

The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1988 (amended 1994)
As a Landlord, your property must, under Law, have an annual inspection of gas supply and gas appliances. This must be carried out by a registered Gas Safe engineer. Failure to comply with these regulations can lead to prosecution with fines up to £25,000 or even imprisonment.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 & The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994
These regulation state that Landlords have a legal obligation and a duty of care to ensure that the electrical installation and the electrical equipment supplied is certified and safe. The Regulations have been mandatory since 1st January 1997.

As a Landlord, any failure to comply with the Electrical Regulations may constitute a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection Act 1987 that carries a maximum penalty of a £5000 or can lead to imprisonment.

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988
These regulations apply ‘to persons who hire out furniture in the course of a business of theirs’ and therefore to Landlords and Agents. All soft furnishings must comply and have a visible compliance label and only excludes furniture manufactured before 1950.

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015
Landlords to need to ensure smoke alarms are fitted to every storey of their property and a carbon monoxide alarm to any room used as living accommodation where solid fuel is used i.e. wood burning stove or an open coal fire. It will also extend to equipment such as a solid fuel Aga in the kitchen. If a landlord is found to be non-compliant they could face a civil penalty charge of up to £5000.

Energy Performance Certificates
Landlords are required, under law, to have an Energy Performance Certificate presented for the property to rent. The Energy Performance Certificate (or EPC as it is better known) rates the performance of the building in the same way as domestic appliances are now rated; from the most energy efficient down to the least efficient, and this allows the prospective tenant an insight into utility costs on that property.

Call us today on 01865 201111 or find a branch here.

Need some advice?  Get in touch with the Oxfordshire experts